What Are Doubleshot Keycaps? A Detailed Guide
Doubleshot keycaps are a popular upgrade for mechanical keyboards. They provide a more premium typing experience and a longer lifespan than traditional keycaps. They are also more expensive than traditional keycaps, but provide a superior typing experience. This article will discuss the features and benefits of doubleshot keycaps, as well as how to choose the right type for your keyboard.
A Detailed Overview of Doubleshot Keycaps
Doubleshot keycaps are a type of keycaps made of two layers of plastic. This type of keycap is designed to be extremely durable and prevent wear and tear on the keycap. The two layers of plastic are molded together to form a single piece and the two layers can be different colors or the same color, allowing for a wide range of customization options.
The upper layer of the keycap is usually made of ABS plastic, which is durable and resistant to wear and tear. The lower layer is typically made of PBT plastic, which is more rigid and provides better sound and feel when typing.
The double-shot process also helps the keycaps resist fading from the oils on the fingers over time. Additionally, the two layers of plastic help to prevent the legends on the keycaps from being worn off due to heavy use.
Overall, double-shot keycaps are a great option for anyone looking for a durable and customizable keyboard experience.
Typses of Doubleshot Keycaps
Doubleshot keycaps are a type of keycap that utilizes two pieces of plastic to form the keycap. The two pieces of plastic are molded together to form the keycap, and this process gives the keycap a higher level of durability and a more premium feel than other types of keycaps.
There are two main types of doubleshot keycaps: ABS and PBT. ABS (acrylonitrile butadiene styrene) is a type of thermoplastic that is very common in the manufacturing of keycaps. It is a strong, tough material that is resistant to cracking and fading. PBT (polybutylene terephthalate) is a more durable material than ABS and is usually more expensive. It is more scratch-resistant, resists UV radiation better, and is more resistant to chemicals.
The two types of doubleshot keycaps differ in terms of the way they are molded together. ABS keys are molded using a traditional technique called “injection molding”, where the two pieces of plastic are injected into a mold to form the keycap. PBT keys are molded using a more advanced technique called “double-injection molding”, where the two pieces are injected into a separate mold before being fused together.
The benefit of using doubleshot keycaps is that they are extremely durable and have a premium feel. They are also more resistant to fading, cracking, and wear than other types of keycaps. Additionally, the colors of the keycaps are more vibrant and the legends on the keycaps are more precise.
Pros and Cons of Doubleshot Keycaps
Pros of Doubleshot Keycaps
Doubleshot keycaps are an increasingly popular choice for custom keyboards. They offer many advantages over other types of keycaps, including increased durability, better feel, and a wider range of designs.
- Doubleshot keycaps are far more durable than other types of keycaps. The keycap is made from two separate pieces of plastic, which are fused together. This makes them resistant to abrasions, scratches, and fading. In addition, the extra thickness makes them more resistant to cracking and warping.
- The feel of doubleshot keycaps is noticeably better than other types of keycaps. The two layers of plastic offer a slight cushioning effect, which makes typing more comfortable. This is especially noticeable for gamers and typists who use their keyboards for long periods of time.
- Doubleshot keycaps come in a wide variety of designs. This includes custom designs, which can be made to match the look of your keyboard. This is great for those who want to customize the look of their keyboard without sacrificing its performance.
Finally, doubleshot keycaps offer many advantages over other types of keycaps. They are more durable, have a better feel, and come in a wide range of designs. Therefore, they are a great choice for those looking to upgrade their keyboard.
Cons of Doubleshot Keycaps
Doubleshot keycaps are a type of keycap that is designed with two layers of plastic. The first layer is made up of the legend or artwork, and the second layer is the background color of the key. While this type of keycap offers many advantages, there are some cons to consider.
- One of the main drawbacks of using a double shot keycap is the cost. Because of the extra layer of plastic, these keycaps tend to be more expensive than other types. Additionally, the manufacturing process for doubleshot keycaps is more complex and time consuming, which can lead to higher production costs.
- Another potential con of doubleshot keycaps is the size. Because of the extra layer of plastic, these keycaps tend to be thicker than other types. This can make them more difficult to fit in some keyboards, so it’s important to check the dimensions before ordering.
- Finally, the longevity of doubleshot keycaps can be a concern. Due to the extra layer of plastic, they may be more prone to wear and tear over time. The legends may also fade or wear off with extended use.
Overall, doubleshot keycaps are a great option for those looking for a high-end look. However, it’s important to weigh the pros and cons before making a decision.
Most Related Article: Keycap Profiles: A Simple Overview And Comparison Between Different Keycap Profiles
Overall, doubleshot keycaps are an excellent choice for people who want a more durable, more aesthetically pleasing keyboard experience. They are more expensive than standard keycaps due to the extra manufacturing process, but the extra cost is well worth it for a longer-lasting, high-quality keyboard. With their wide variety of available designs, customizability, and durability, doubleshot keycaps are an attractive option for anyone looking to upgrade their keyboard.
How do doubleshot keycaps provide better durability?
Doubleshot keycaps are much more durable than other types of keycaps because of the two layers of plastic used in their construction. The legends are molded into the keycaps, meaning they can’t be rubbed off, and the physical structure of the keycaps is much more resistant to wear and tear.
Are doubleshot keycaps more expensive than other types of keycaps?
Yes, doubleshot keycaps are typically more expensive than other types of keycaps. This is because they require a more complicated manufacturing process and use two layers of plastic instead of one.